Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Visual Essay

In addition to the written essay for our "This I Believe" project, we were prompted to create a visual representation.  It wasn't as painful as I was expecting it to be!

I enjoyed trying to think of creative (and sometimes cheesy) ways to transfer my words into pictures.

This wasn't my first time making a video, but it was my first time making a visual essay.  I've always used iMovie, so Windows Movie Maker was kind of difficult to grasp at first.  Once I learned the basics, I was creating like a pro! :)

I could see myself using video projects in my classroom.  For example, if we did a unit on "Romeo and Juliet," a fun way to end it would be to create a "movie trailer" highlighting the important aspects of the play.  Or it could be applied to an excerpt in a novel; each group is assigned a different chapter and they have to make a video.  It would interesting to see how each group portrays the characters because it would be different from group to group.  Or I would have my students creating a "moving poem."  I did that in my video class in eleventh grade and it was really cool!  I selected a poem and used video images I captured to create a story.  I wish I still had it because this poem lent itself to this type of project because each line has a zillion different possible images.

Overall, I enjoyed this project!

1 comment: