Monday, April 23, 2012

OER

No, I didn't spell "oar" wrong.  OER stands for Open Educational Resource, and it is a topic we explored recently by utilizing the "flipped classroom" technique in my SEDU183 class.  Basically, an OER is something on the Internet that has eduational value to a teacher or to a learner, and is usually free, or close to it.


For our OER assignment, we read an article. This short article explains the whole concept for using OER and the benefits, as well as the downfalls. 


One point in particular that I felt was important was that "electronic content can certainly be used in face-to-face environments as well." While I like the whole idea of OER, I don't like the idea of learning solely on the internet. The fact that the resources can also be translated into a classroom is helpful to know. I like the idea of using OER for supplemental resources and not for the main sources of education; not all of the resources are going to be current or accurate, so each resource must be scrutinized carefully.


I putzed around by google-ing "open educational resource German" and was surprised by what I found!  There were tons of fun games and resources!  Not only could I use this in my classroom as a potential German teacher, but I could also currently use this to brush up on my German before taking German 101 in the fall semester!


This is a screenshot from one of the German games on the website linked above!




I then googled "open educational resource Madame Bovary" because, well, we all know how I feel about "Madame Bovary."  I was once again surprised by what a simple google search discovered!  The first listing went to a website with an ENTIRE lesson plan on the novel!  It focuses the three-hundred page novel into one specific idea, and provides activities and assessment.  I don't think I would use this solely as my lesson plan, but I would use this as a guideline to focus the novel, and to bring in new ideas I might not have come up with on my own.


I don't know if you noticed, but I really love Flaubert.
(also, I'm clearly really good at using MS Paint :) )




When I googled "open educational resource grammar," a website full of grammar quizzes came up!  I could see myself using this in the classroom.  For example, if I took my class to the computer lab during a week-long lesson on grammar, they could go on this website and choose which topics they need extra help in.  This website also includes “pretests” which would be a good way to gauge where my students are and what they need extra focus on before doing the actual lesson.  I could also use this to practice my own grammar skills so my writing could improve.  (I'm also taking "Traditional Grammar" next semester, so this could be a great practice tool!)


My exploration of OER proved to be pretty beneficial.  I managed to find resources I could currently use as a student, as well as resources I could use as a teacher.  I like the idea of OER because they allow teachers to provide supplemental resources for their students, and students can also use OER to further their knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment