Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Playing with PowerPoint

Last week's assignment was concerned with PowerPoint. We had to create a lesson plan based on the state standards, and decide where we could incorporate a PowerPoint. I chose the ninth grade English standard about conventions (spelling, grammar, etc.). I used a PowerPoint to convey proper use of apostrophes and commas, along with easy fixes to common spelling errors. My slideshow incorporated three fun activites that kept the students engaged; ideally, my presentation would have been done with a SmartBoard so students could directly interact with the PowerPoint.
My prior experience with PowerPoint made this assignment easy. I was familiar with animations and different techniques, and I tried to incoroporate them to make my presentation seem professional and interesting. This was, however, my first time writing a lesson plan. Even though I was intimidated at first, I was able to figure out the format and what exactly needed to be included in my lesson plan.
After we created our projects, we presented them to a group of two other SEDU183 students. This allowed us to experience PowerPoint in different subjects, which was pretty cool! I was able to see the technology incorporated in a biology and social studies slideshow, which also broadened my view of what PowerPoint could actually be used for. We ran through our lesson and evaluated each other--my group did exceptionally well in creating effective and interesting presentations.
This was a fun excercise that allowed us to be creative. It also reminded us of how useful technology can be in the classroom.

Click HERE! for my PowerPoint! (It doesn't show any of the animations, so some of the slides look weird)

No comments:

Post a Comment